There are different ways that we can use to greet each other. Though they all depend on the context and the closeness or intimacy of relationship. In this article, we will show you how to say two of the most common words used to greet in Spanish: Hello and Hi in Spanish and different ways of greeting people in Spanish.
How to say Hello and How to say Hi in Spanish?
Hola = Hello
Pronounce it “oh-la” and keep the “h” silent.
Saying hello in Spanish
Common ways of greetings in Spanish
There are many words and phrases that you can use for greetings in Spanish.
- Buenos días - good morning
- Buenas tardes - good afternoon
- Buenas noches - good evening
- ¿Que pasa?- What's happening?
- ¿Qué tal? – Hello, how are things/How’s it going?
- Hola, ¿Qué hay? – Hello, what’s up?
- ¿Cómo estás? - Hello, how are you? (used when speaking to someone of your age or younger than you)
- ¿Cómo está? – Hello, how are you? (used when speaking to someone who is much older than you or has a higher
- social status)
- ¿Cómo están? – How are you (all)? (used when addressing a group)
- ¿Qué haces? - What are you doing?
- ¿Cómo te va? - How’s it going?
Formal Verbal Greetings in Spanish
In some formal situations like talking with strangers or senior people, instead of using “tú”, you can use “usted” to show respect.
Some common formal ways of greetings in Spanish:
- ¿Cómo está usted?
- ¿Cómo le va?
- ¿Qué hace?
Greetings when you meet someone for the first time
Saying hello when you meet someone for the first time, you can use “Mucho gusto” which means “Nice to meet you”. It is often used while shaking hands and as an alternative to “encantado” (if the other person says it first.)
Encantado / Encantado de conocerle = How do you do / Pleased to meet you
You can check out this article for Spanish greetings and farewells!
Follow our site for instant spanish to english translation, grammar, and vocabulary.